August 4, 2009

Operation Organization - Week 1

I have decided to join Operation Organization: The Battle for Order. The intent of Operation Organization is to choose an area of our homes to reorganize, and post this area (with before pictures) to our blogs. The following Friday we will post after pictures.. and the next area we are going o organize. At the end of the 8 week challenge we will have eight reorganized areas in our homes! I was supposed to start this on the 31st.. but did not find it until yesterday, but I am here!

The first area that I plan to organize is the kitchen counter. This is the counter that my computer sits on when I bring it home, where all of the mail goes, the dog stuff (treats, collar, brush etc) and many other miscellaneous items. Cell phones and cameras get charges here, drinks get made here (due to the location of the alcohol directly above the counter),  and the grocery list is buried somewhere under that mess. The drawers directly beneath the counter are nice and organized (due to Tackle it Tuesday).

So, here it is. My organizational challenge for week 1. I already have ideas for the remaining weeks. My closet, the linen closet, the kids playroom, my bedroom, the entertainment center, the cabinet with the tupperware and baking pans, and the bakers rack. Wish me luck!

2009 08 02_1918

I decided to follow Ashley's lead and use these questions from I'm An Organizing Junkie.

1. What do I want the purpose of my room or area to be?
    Telephone, and computer station. Drink mixing, food prep

2. What do I need in or near the room to serve that purpose?
    Access to phone and power jacks

3. What can I remove from the room?
    Almost everything.

4. What problems do I see with the room?
    Almost everything

5. What organizational tools might solve those problems?
    File folders (in another location) to store papers in. Charging/ docking station for         cell and camera charging. Decorative box or basket for dog items.

6. What habits need to change to solve the organizational problems?
    We need to stop dumping everything on the counter.

7. What kind of a budget do I have to create the organized room of my dreams?
    $0 (if I can find the file basket that I bought a few years ago)

8. What kind of a time-line is necessary to organize the room?
    An uninterrupted hour

9. What is my plan of action?
    Take EVERYTHING off of the counter and clean thoroughly. Only put back those         items that belong on the counter. Find a new home for everything else.
10. Who can I ask to help me with this?
    Eric



1 comment:

Melinda Means said...

Welcome aboard, Kelly! So glad you found me and decided to join in the fun! ;0) Having accountabiity and others cheering you on makes such a difference when you're attempting unpleasant tasks. Good luck this week! I'll look for your "After" photo.